If you feel a violent shaking of the ground indicative of a possible earthquake follow these instructions:
Drop, Cover, Hold
- DROP to the ground.
- Take COVER by getting under a sturdy desk/table or crouching down close to a wall. Remember to cover your head and stay clear of falling objects.
- HOLD on until the shaking stops. (2 to 5 minutes)
- If outside stay clear of falling objects.
- If indoors, stay there. Get under a desk or table and hold on, or stand in a corner. Do not go in a doorway. Protect your head, neck, and face.
- If driving, pull over to the side of the road and stop. Avoid overpasses and power lines. Stay in the vehicle until the shaking stops.
- Do not attempt to use elevators.
- If in a crowded place, do not rush for the doors. Move away from windows and shelves containing objects that could fall.
- After the shaking subsides, turn off computers: unplug electrical equipment: replace telephone handsets: go outdoors and stay clear of buildings, walls, power lines and trees.
- Call 911 if you or others are injured. Provide the following information:
- Your name
- Building name (location)
- Type of injury or damage
- Location of injured person or building damage
- Room number you are calling from