The following guidelines should be used by students when requesting accommodations.
- Students must notify the Director of Disability Services (DS) if they have a need
for an accommodation due to disability.
- A request for services, or intake form, must be completed by each student seeking
accommodations from the Office of DS. This form may be accessed on-line through the
DS website, obtained by contacting the DS offices at 968-0302, or in Doc Bryan Student
Services Building, Suite 171. If an alternative format is required please notify the
Director of DS.
- Students must meet with the Director for an intake interview and be prepared to discuss
the specifics of how their disability impacts their ability to access educational
programs, facilities, and activities. While documentation is not required in order
to initiate this process, the Director reserves the right to request formal documentation
to substantiate disability and determine appropriate accommodations. It is also helpful
for students to provide copies of their course syllabi at the time of their intake
- Requests for services should be initiated in a timely manner to allow for coordination
of services with faculty and staff. Accommodations are not retro-active, therefore
students are encouraged to meet with the Director before the start of classes or early
in the term if they suspect an accommodation is necessary.
- Students who are eligible for accommodations will receive a Letter of Accommodation
(LOA) outlining the services which will be provided to the student. Students are responsible
for meeting with their instructors to discuss the LOA.
- In no instance is a student required to share the nature of their disability with
anyone other than DS; however they should be prepared to discuss how their disability
impacts their ability to participate in academic programs and activities. Faculty
members should meet privately with students in order to ensure confidentiality.
- Accommodations will be effective for the duration of the term. Students will need
to follow-up with the Director at the beginning of each subsequent term in order to
request and receive continued accommodations.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding accommodations, please contact Liz
Means, Director of Disability Services at 968-0302.