Susan J. Underwood
College Student Personnel
1310 N. El Paso Avenue
Arkansas Tech University
Russellville, AR 72801
Dr. Susan Underwood has extensive experience in higher education both in administration
and faculty roles. Dr. Underwood began her education at a community college and has
studied and worked at seven institutions of higher education ranging in size from
6000 to 35000 students. Her experience includes working in Residence Life, Registrar's
Office, Academic Student Services, Business and Finance, International and Multicultural
Student Services, Career Services, Student Services Assessment, and Freshmen Mentoring.
She has taught at the undergraduate, master's and doctoral levels and has chaired
and/or served on numerous doctoral dissertation committees.Dr. Underwood holds a B.S.
in Health Care Administration and a Master's of Education in College Student Personnel
from Western Kentucky University in Bowling Green, Kentucky. Her Ph.D. in Higher Education
Administration with a minor in Counseling Psychology is from New Mexico State University
in Las Cruces, New Mexico.
- Ph.D. in Higher Education Administration, New Mexico State University, in 1990
M.A.Ed. in College Student Personnel Administration, Western Kentucky University,
B.S. in Health Care Administration, Western Kentucky University, in 1980
- Associate Professor, Arkansas Tech University, 2012-Present
- Department Head & Associate Professor, Arkansas Tech University, 2010-12
- Program Director & Associate Professor, Arkansas Tech University, 2004-10
- Assistant to Vice President, Student Services & Visiting Assistant Professor, Arkansas
Tech University, 2003-04
- Adjunct Faculty Member, Arkansas Tech University, 2001-03
- Institutional Effectiveness Consultant, University of Houston – Clear Lake, 2000-01
- Acting Coordinator, Multicultural and International Student Services, University of
Houston – Clear Lake, 2000
- Grant Support Consultant, Tri-County Community College, 2000
- Career and Counseling Services Consultation, University of Houston-Clear Lake, 1999
- Assistant Professor, Counseling and Educational Leadership, Clemson University, 1995-98
- Director Administration and Quality Management, Clemson University, 1992-95
- Program Review Consultant to School of Continuing Education, Tri-County Community
- Doctoral Graduate Assistant, New Mexico State University, 1988-1990
- Career Planning and Placement Doctoral Intern, New Mexico State University, 1989
- Assistant to the Associate Dean for Instruction, New Mexico State University, 1986-88
- Student Records Manager, Office of the Registrar, Indiana University – Bloomington,
- Residence Hall Director, Western Kentucky University, 1980-83
- National Association of Student Personnel Administrators (NASPA)
- Underwood, S. J. , Austin, C., & Giroir, C. (2010). Squeezing the virtual turnip:
Introducing student affairs professionals to open source technologies. StudentAffairs.com Ejournal, Winter 2010, 11(1).
- Underwood, S. J. & Jackson, L. H. (2011, November). Developing professionals through effective student affairs practicum. NASPA Regional IV-W Annual Conference, Denver, CO.
- Austin, C., Underwood, S., & Giroir, C. (2011, March). Engaging students and informing the future: Technology in grad prep. NASPA Annual Conference, Philadelphia, PA.
- Underwood, D. & Underwood, S. (2010, September). Thumbs up for thumb drives: Making free software portable. Arkansas Distance Learning Association Annual Conference, Hot Springs, AR.
- Giroir, C., Underwood, S., Austin, C. (2010, July). Connecting to the I generation. Paper presented at the UAMS Teaching with Technology Symposium, Little Rock, AR.
- Underwood, S. J. (2011, Summer). Succeeding academically. Panelist Six Parent Orientation Sessions, Arkansas Tech University, Russellville,
- Underwood, S. J. (2011, April). Time management and organization for student success. Brown Bag Presentation for the Student Support Services program. Arkansas Tech University,
- Underwood, S. J. (2011, February). Preparing effective resumes. Presentation to Delta Zeta Sorority, Arkansas Tech University, Russellville, AR.
- Underwood, S. J. – Panelist. (2011, February). Making the most of student affairs practicums. CSPA Brown Bag, Arkansas Tech University, Russellville, AR.
- Underwood, S. J. (2010, Summer). Succeeding academically. Panelist Four Parent Orientation Sessions, Arkansas Tech University, Russellville,