V. Carole Smith, Ph.D.
Associate Professor for Middle Level Education
Curriculum and Instruction
Crabaugh Hall, Room 210
1310 North El Paso Avenue
Russellville, Arkansas 72801
Dr. Smith has been at Arkansas tech University since January 2004. Dr. Smith is a
31 year veteran of the public schools as a teacher and administrator.Her primary focus
is Middle Level Education and Adolescent Development.
- Ph.D., University of Arizona, Teaching and Teacher Education; Emphasis: Middle Level
Education; Dissertation: Easing the Transition from Middle Level Education to High
- M.Ed., University of Arizona, Educational Administration
- M. of Mu., University of Arizona,, Music Education
- State of Arizona – Superintendent, High School Principal, Supervisory, Teaching Certificate
- Associate Professor, Arkansas Tech University, Russellville, Arkansas
- Assistant Professor, University of Arkansas, Monticello, Arkansas
- Director of Secondary and Middle Level Education, Littleton Public Schools, Littleton,
- Administrator, High School Assistant Superintendent's Office, Tucson Unified Schools,
- Middle School Principal in two schools, Tucson Unified Schools, Tucson, Arizona
- Assistant Principal, in two high schools, Tucson Unified Schools, Tucson, Arizona
- High School Dean of Students – Tucson Unified Schools, Tucson, Arizona
- Internship Advisor – Gifted Education Program – Tucson, Unified Schools, Tucson, Arizona
- Teacher: Music, Drama, English, Tucson Unified Schools, Tucson, Arizona
- Association of Middle Level Education (AMLE)
- National Association of Professors of Middle Level Education
- Association of Teacher Educators
- Arkansas Association of Teacher Educators
- Association of Supervision and Curriculum Development
- Johnson, C. & Smith, V. C. (2012). Equity: Fact or Fiction? A Sociohistorical Perspective on Arkansas Quest for Parity. Southeaster Regional Association of Teacher Educators. Little Rock,
- Walsh, L. & Smith, V. C. (2011). New Paradigms: Addressing Non-Traditional Licensure. Arkansas Association of Colleges for teacher Education. Clarksville, AR.
- Walsh, L., & Smith, V.C. (2011) Professionals for the future: Alternative Licensure with a Masters of Arts in Teaching. Southeastern Regional Association of Teacher Educators. Savannah, GA.
- Smith, V. C. (2011). Educational Leadership Programs That Include Middle Level Education. Association of Teacher Educators National Conference. Orlando, Florida.
- Smith, V. C. (2010). Hiring Preferences of Middle Level Principal's of One Mid-South State. Association of Teacher Educators National Conference. Chicago, IL
- Smith, V. C. (2010). Middle Level Advisory: Exploring Culture and Building Community. Association of Teacher Educators National Conference. Chicago, IL.