ATU Home Campus Map Home
Academic Affairs Home | Tech Home | Catalog Home | Course Descriptions

Fees and Charges

Tuition and Fees
Resident -- per credit hour1 $195
Non-resident -- per credit hour1,2 390
Student Activity Fee3
9 Hours and Greater 31
8 Hours and Less 5
Summer 5
Intra-Mural fee 4
Technology fee (required each semester or term) 135
Assessment fee (required each semester or term) 12
Transcript fee (required each semester or term) 7
Instructional support fee (per credit hour) 4
Strategic Facilities Initiative fee (per credit hour) 10
International Student Service fee
Per semester (fall/spring) 30
Per summer term (five-week) 15
Per mini-term 10
Residence Hall Board Charges
19 meal-per-week plan 1,073
15 meal-per-week + $100 Declining Balance Dollars 1,114
165 meals + $100 Declining Balance Dollars 1,052
145 meals + $130 Declining Balance Dollars 1,052
106 meals + $150 Declining Balance Dollars 1,022
80 meals per semester - Commuter Plan 450
Residence Hall Room Charges
Baswell, Paine, South, Nutt (Double) Halls and Stadium Suite (Co-ed) 1,670
Jones and Roush Halls 1,390
Brown, Caraway, Critz/Huges, Turner and Wilson Halls 1,225
Campus Courts Double 1,390
Additional charge for Private Room 400
University Commons Apartments
2 bedroom apartments 2,772
4 bedroom apartments 2,232
Eastgate Apartments
1 bedroom apartments 1,585
2 bedroom apartments 1,796
Late registration fee 25
Adding/dropping courses 10
Returned check 10
Replacement of ID card 25
Post Office box rent (required of all students living on campus) 10
Auto registration 30
Parking fees and fines (see Traffic Regulations)
(All students parking on campus must have a parking permit)
1 Up to $12.50 ($25.00 for out-of-state students) per credit hour (not to exceed twelve hours per semester) of the tuition fee for courses taken during the fall and spring semesters will be allocated to athletics.
2 Information concerning residence status may be obtained from the Registrar's Office, Doc Bryan Student Services Center, Suite 153 (479) 968-0272.
3 Entitles students to a picture student ID card and admission to all University-sponsored activities.

Food and Housing
(Subject to changes as necessary)

Graduate students are eligible to live in residence halls. All students living in residence halls are required to purchase a meal plan; fifteen, nineteen-meals-per-week and declining balance meal plans are available during the fall and spring semesters. Declining Balance Dollars may be used in Chambers Cafeteria, Doc Bryan Food Court and Convenience Store.

Residence halls are closed between fall and spring semesters. However, residents may remain in the residence halls during this period provided they submit proper paperwork to the Office of Residential Life to gain approval. There will be an additional cost for residents approved to remain in the residence halls over this break period. Residents may remain in the residence halls during all other breaks, provided they notify the residence hall staff of their intentions prior to the break period.

Payment of Accounts

Tuition and all other fees and charges, including at least one-fourth of room and board charges for students in residence halls, are due and payable prior to the beginning of each term at the Student Accounts Office, in the Doc Bryan Student Services Center, Office 133. Financial settlement may be made by personal payment or authorized financial aid (loans, scholarships, grants, third parties, etc.). Visa, Master Card, and Discover credit cards are accepted for all charges. An alternative payment plan is offered via the web site: Registration is not complete until all financial obligations have been met satisfactorily. Failure to make financial settlement will result in cancellation of the class schedule.

Monthly billing statements are electronic. Near the first of each month, notification and information for access will be provided to students via the individual student e-mail address and online at Students are responsible for accessing billing statements and printing a paper copy if desired. In addition, paper copies are mailed twice yearly shortly before the beginning of the fall and spring terms. Students registering between billing cycles are responsible for accessing their charges online or contacting Student Accounts to insure making correct payment by the required due date. Payment is due even if billing statement is not received. Students with delinquent accounts are not eligible for food service, transcripts, recommendations, advance registration, or readmission to any term. Collection fees for outstanding debts owed to the University may be assessed to the student.

The University reserves the right to amend or add to the regulations of the institution, including those concerning charges and methods of payment, and to make such changes applicable to students enrolled in the University, as well as to new students.

Reduction of Fees and Charges

Students officially withdrawing from the University by the end of the fifth day of the semester in a summer term, as listed in the “Academic Calendar” on page 1, will receive an 80 percent reduction of tuition for courses which they are enrolled in at time of withdrawal. No reduction in tuition will be made after the fifth day of the summer semester. No reduction in fees will be made beginning with the first day of class of the summer term.

Reduction of Tuition for Official Withdrawal

Students registering for the fall or spring semester but officially withdrawing from the University by the end of the second day of the semester, as listed in the “Academic Calendar” on page 1, will receive a 100 percent reduction of tuition and fees. Room and Board will be reduced on a pro rata basis. Thereafter, students officially withdrawing by the end of the twenty-fifth day of the semester will receive an 80 percent reduction of tuition only for courses in which they are enrolled at time of withdrawal. No reduction in tuition will be made after the twenty-fifth day of the semester. No reduction in fees will be made after the second day of the semester.

In the event a student is receiving student financial aid, any refund amount attributable to a loan, grant, or scholarship will be returned to the appropriate account and not to the student. The amount returned to federal programs will be the amount of unearned Federal aid based on the number of calendar days of attendance up to the sixty percent point of the semester. Aid accounts will be refunded in the following order up to the amount of the original disbursement: Federal Family Education Loan Programs, Federal Perkins Loan Program, Federal PLUS Loan Program, Federal Pell Grant Program, Federal Academic Competitiveness Grant, Federal SMART Grant, Federal SEOG Program, Arkansas Department of Higher Education Programs, Tech scholarships and private aid. Additionally, students who have received a cash payment of Federal aid money will receive a letter after their withdrawal informing them of any amount to be repaid. These repayments will be made through the Student Accounts Office.

The student will be ineligible to register for additional courses until the required payments are made.

Financial Aid

Three aid programs are available to graduate students: the Federal Perkins Loan Program, which provides a five-percent loan to eligible students; the Federal Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized and Direct PLUS Loan Programs, which provides loans to eligible students; and the Federal College Work-Study Program, which provides on-campus part-time jobs. In order to participate in these programs, the student should submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid. These applications and additional information about the programs may be obtained by writing to the Financial Aid Office, Arkansas Tech University, Russellville, Arkansas 72801-2222 or at Priority deadlines are April 1 for summer, April 15 for fall, and November 1 for spring.

Graduate students receiving federally funded financial aid must meet the below listed conditions in order to remain eligible for financial aid:

  1. Full-time students must earn an average of nine (9) hours per semester; part-time students must earn the hours in which they enroll each semester. Degree must be completed by the end of three years of full-time enrollment.
  2. Students must maintain a 3.0 GPA on graduate courses each semester.
  3. Complete the degree by the end of six full-time semesters.

Graduate Assistantships

The University offers a limited number of graduate assistantships through its academic departments and administrative offices. Inquiries regarding assistantships should be directed to the Dean of Graduate College. Applications can be found online at The Graduate College will accept and forward all applications for assistantships to the appropriate program director or supervisor. To ensure timely consideration, please submit all material by November 1st for Spring position, and by April 1st for the following Fall term.

A graduate student holding an assistantship appointment does part-time work for the University as determined by the department or office involved. A student receiving an assistantship may take a maximum of nine hours and a minimum of six hours of course work per semester. During each summer term, the student may take a maximum of six hours and a minimum of three hours. Total tuition waivers for a graduate assistant may not exceed 18 hours for the period July 1 to June 30. Exceptions may be made upon the approval of the appropriate program director and the Dean of Graduate College. A student may have a maximum appointment of 50 percent (20 hours a week) except in the summer when he/she can receive a 100 percent appointment. A student may not hold more than one graduate assistantship at any given time.

A student may have a graduate assistantship award for four semesters if they meet the Graduate College eligibility guidelines and receive continued departmental approval. A student may appeal for one extra semester by providing detailed written justification to the Graduate Dean.

Out-of-State Residence
Status for Tuition and
Fee purposes

All graduate students classified as “out-of-state” must pay out-of-state tuition as shown in the section entitled “Fees and Charges.”

All graduate students who are legal residents of states which are contiguous to Arkansas (specifically, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Oklahoma, Tennessee, or Texas) shall receive a waiver of out-of-state tuition charges.

A student from outside of Arkansas entitled to be treated as an instate student for fee purposes should complete an “Application for Residency Classification as Instate Domiciliary” and supply evidence to that effect.


The scholarships listed below have been established by the alumni and friends of Arkansas Tech University in order to afford students the ability to pursue their goals of earning a degree in higher education. Applications for Private and Transfer Scholarships can be obtained from the Admissions Office or Financial Aid Office in the Doc Bryan Student Services Building. Applications should be submitted by March 15.

Jimmie Hartman Hoover
Memorial Scholarship

An endowed scholarship created for the purpose of assisting graduate students at Arkansas Tech University and will be awarded each year the funds are sufficient. To be considered for this scholarship the applicant must be a full-time graduate student who is admitted in the Instructional Technology degree program with a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or higher. Preference will be given to students who have an interest in library media. In addition, financial need may be considered. The recipient will be selected by a committee appointed by the Dean of the Graduate College.

Minority Masters Fellows Program

Up to $7500 for one year or three summers for African-American, Asian-American, Native American, and Hispanic students entering a masters program, or in the fifth year of a five year teacher certification program, who were Minority Teacher Scholarship Recipients. Contact information: Collin Caloway,, 501.371.2053

Rexann Oller International Studies Scholarship

The Rexann Oller International Studies Scholarship will be awarded each year to a student who shows academic achievement in international affairs and/or strong background and interest in international relations. This scholarship is open to all Arkansas Tech undergraduate and graduate students who have a minimum GPA of 3.0. Preference will be given to students with demonstrated financial need. Recipients of other tuition scholarships are not eligible to apply. Application deadline is March 15. Please contact the Office of International and Multicultural Student Services for full application requirements.

Tate C. “Piney” Page Memorial Athletic Scholarship

An endowed scholarship to assist a graduate assistant who excelled in football and academics has been established in memory of Dr. Page through contributions by the Russellville Kiwanis Club. Applications should be made to the Arkansas Tech Athletic Director.

Lambert Resimont Scholarship

An endowed athletic scholarship to be awarded annually to a graduate assistant who excelled in basketball and academics. Students interested in applying should contact the Arkansas Tech Athletic Director.

John Rollow Memorial Fund

Established as a tribute to John Rollow to assist non-traditional students in English and Creative Writing with tuition expenses. This scholarship is open to any non-traditional undergraduate or graduate student with demonstrated financial need and a cumulative grade point average of 2.5 or better. Application should be made to the Department of English.

John E. Tucker Memorial Scholarship

An endowed athletic scholarship awarded to a graduate assistant who excelled in football and academics. Applications should be made to the Arkansas Tech Athletic Director.

Jim Ed McGee Graduate Honors Award

The Jim Ed McGee Graduate Honors Award was instituted to recognize one Arkansas Tech University graduate student each year as the outstanding graduate student of the year.

A graduate student who has recently completed a graduate degree and wishes to be considered for the Jim Ed McGee Graduate Honors Award may submit a letter of application with two faculty recommendations to his/her program director by March 1 of the year in which the honors award is to be presented. If the advisor is someone other than the program director, one of the two faculty recommendations must come from the student’s advisor.

Persons who graduated in May or December of one year are eligible to apply for the award which will be presented in April of the following year. The student’s program director will review the application materials on the basis of graduate level performance in such areas as grades, research project, academic papers, leadership in graduate program activities, and faculty recommendations.

The program director will forward the application materials of recommended outstanding graduate students to the Dean of Graduate College by February 15.

A panel of evaluators, consisting of the Dean of Graduate College and four other graduate faculty members, will review nominations of candidates for the Graduate Honors Award. The panel will rate the applicants based on the following: (1) evaluation of documentation submitted by the applicant, graduate transcripts and faculty recommendations; (2) work submitted by the applicant, abstracts, prospectus or project summary, and advisor recommendations; (3) leadership and involvement in graduate program activities. A personal interview may be required.

The person selected as the recipient of the Jim Ed McGee Graduate Honors Award will receive a personal plaque and have his/her name inscribed on the Jim Ed McGee Graduate Honors Award Plaque that will be on permanent display in the Graduate College.

Angelo and Rosa Denova Graduate History Award

The recipient of this award will be selected by a history Department Paper Prize.